Ich liebe dich. I love you.
Really, I do. I’m not just saying that because I was nominated for the Liebster Award…
As you might gather from reading the small print on the badge above, the Liebster Award is given to bloggers by bloggers, and it is a way to spread the love and help people discover new blogs.
I was nominated by Raman of Toddler Tales: Developing the Whole Child. Raman is a school teacher turned stay-at-home mom, who creates phenomenal activities and exercises for her little one. She shares all of her incredible ideas on her blog and her Instagram feed and roots all of her plans on good, solid education research and theory. Raman is such a sweet and encouraging soul, and it has been a pleasure to get to know her through social media these last few months! Thank you, Raman!
Now for the rules…
After you win the Liebster Award, you should:
1. Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”.
3. Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
4. Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
5. Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have less than 1000 followers.
6. Create a new list of questions for these bloggers to answer.
7. List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
8. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)
Raman’s Questions & My Answers:
1) What made you decide to start blogging?
First and foremost, I have always loved writing. It is more than a hobby for me – it is fuel. Between taking care of my 2-year-old, working part-time, and…well…life, I was losing out on time for myself. I had thought about starting a blog before, but had been too intimidated by the idea. I also loved the idea of blogging because it’s about a community and it’s about sharing the things we love. It seems the time might have been right, as I ended up have some great support from my husband and a couple of friends from work. Thanks to my cheerleaders, I started up my blog and I’m having a great time working on it!
2) What are your hopes for your blog?
In starting this blog, I of course wanted think that in order for Happy Blurry Beautiful to be successful and fulfilling, which to me means that I always bring my truth and passion to this blog. This should never become a deadline or task, but will hopefully encourage me to grow. I also have had the blessing to make a few connections with other amazing bloggers, and I hope that continues. Lastly, I would like to see Happy Blurry Beautiful grow as a community.
3) What is your favourite season and why?
I absolutely love the fall. From the colours to the crisp air, the fall feels like a second skin to me. It is refreshing while comforting. What is better than hanging out outside with a hot latte?
4) If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I absolutely love living in Vancouver and I don’t think I’d ever want to move from here permanently, but if I did move away for a short while, I’d love to live in Manhattan. I’ve only ever been to New York once, but it’s a city with such personality and passion.
5) What do you do in your free time?
Free time is rationed out nowadays, but when I do get free time I love reading new books, indulging in some reality TV, trying out new recipes, relaxing at the beach or a park, or spending time with my amazing family and friends. I also love me-time…time where I can relax with nothing to interrupt me. It is in those moments that I recharge and enjoy being alone with my thoughts.
6) If you had a day all to yourself (sans kids), how would you spend it?
Oooh! The things I could do! When I do have a day without Little Bear it is usually spent cleaning, organizing, or running errands, but every once in a while I spend the day just taking care of myself. Some time at a coffee shop, a pedicure, a trashy magazine (who doesn’t love gossip?), and maybe even a bit of a shopping trip! The best part of having a day all to myself is the obligatory nap with Ziggy, of course!
7) What is the best thing about being a mom? The hardest part?
Every time he grins, calls out for “momma,” randomly gives me a hug and a kiss, or says something incredibly cute, I’m reminded of how lucky I am to be a mom. His hair when it’s all messed up, his face when he’s drawn all over it, and his eyelashes when he’s deep asleep remind me of the beauty he possesses.
That is the best thing – simply that I was blessed to be able to be Little Bear’s momma.
It’s not all roses though. He wakes up in full gear, ready to go, leaves a path of destruction in his wake and of course has the typical toddler meltdowns and fears. But that is not the hardest part to me. The hardest part to me is knowing that my Little Bear, so much a part of me still, is growing up so fast. The hardest part is feeling like you want to protect and shelter them forever and knowing that you can’t. So you do the best you can and hope to equip them with logic and reason and love and compassion and more than anything, passion.
That’s the hardest part.
Oh…and never being able to sleep in ever again.
8) What is your guilty pleasure?
I don’t really feel all that guilty about it – chocolate!!! Ooey, gooey, decadent, melt in your mouth chocolate!
9) What kind of cuisine do you prefer?
I could eat from somewhere in Asia everyday. Japanese one day, Korean the next, Indian the third. I know Asian is a huge range, and more of a multitude of cuisines than one single cuisine, but sit me down with any sort of Asian food and I’m happy!
10) Where is your dream vacation destination and why?
My dream vacation destination has always been Greece. I have never been, but I have always been fascinated by the rich history, beautiful site, excellent food, and of course, those amazing beaches! Greece is number one on my bucket list.
11) How many siblings do you have?
3! I am the youngest of 4 girls. Sisters are such an amazing gift! The best childhood memories and the best friends for life!
11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I absolutely adore peanut butter. And I’m not talking about on toast or crackers or celery. Straight up. Just give me a spoon and leave me to it.
2. I never know the words to any song, but I sing along anyway. The words are just suggestions anyway, right? Needless to say, there’s a lot of humming and making up words as I go along. I also tend to sing faster than the beat of the song.
3. I love barbecue sauce, but don’t really eat meat (except chicken and turkey occasionally), so I never have barbecued meat. Barbecue sauce is great with all those carby, greasy, not-so-good for you foods like pizza, grilled cheese, fries, eggs, hashbrowns, even Indian samosas…you get the idea!
4. One of my favourite comfort meals is baked beans and toast.
5. I was born in Denmark, but don’t start sending me emails in Danish. I don’t speak a word of it!
6. It’s rare that I stop reading a book, even if I don’t like it.
7. My favourite candy is salty, black, Scandinavian liquorice. Other than that, I don’t really crave candy.
8. I can’t ride a bike. No, I’m not bad at riding bikes. I CAN’T ride. At all.
9. I don’t enjoy eating apples whole because I find it quite painful. I have been grinding my teeth my whole life, so my teeth are fairly flat now and this doesn’t mix well with the inherent crunchiness of most apples. The only apples I can eat whole and actually enjoy are the softer varieties like Spartans and Macs.
10. The only thing about my appearance that consistently bothers me is that I’m unable to grow out my nails. As soon as they get to a length I’m happy with, they all start to break off. It’s not a major thing, I know, but it’s the only thing about my appearance I would change if I could!
1. The Mom In Black. Two words: ridiculously hilarious!
2. Leah of Family + Craft. Such a beautiful blog with great ideas.
3. Chelsea of Chocolate Bunnies and Other Tales. Love her ideas and her pictures.
4. Elisabeth of Food Mouth. I only one day hope to be able to capture photos of food the way Elisabeth does!
5. Manju of Mirch Masala. A local mom and foodie with great style.
My Questions for the Nominees:
1. Why did you begin blogging?
2. What has been the most rewarding or exciting thing about blogging?
3. If you won the lottery tomorrow and had unlimited funds, what would you do with the rest of your life?
4. What is a talent or skill that you possess and that you’re proud of?
5. What is a talent or skill that you wished you had?
6. What is one word you would use to describe yourself and why?
7. If you could meet someone famous (dead or alive), who would you meet and why?
8. What is your drink of choice (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?
9. What is your favourite book?
10. What is the one thing you do first when you want to relax?
11. What are some of your hopes and dreams for the future?