Brought home a few blueberries today. A few as in…50 lbs. That’s a lot of blueberries, but who can resist them? When it was just Arun and I eating them, we could make our way through 30-35 lbs of blueberries in the off season, no problem. Little Bear has no problem eating his way through bowls and bowls and bowls of blueberries, so this year we decided to up the amount that we buy.
Reminds me of Violet from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory…
Goal for today: DO NOT BECOME A BLUEBERRY.
Think we can handle that? I guess a good place to start would be to pace our way through these blueberries. Most of these sweet little morsels of juicy goodness are destined straight for the freezer. After the tedious job of getting them home, cleaning them, drying them, and freezing them, I am comforted by knowing the blue grit under my fingernails will come out and we will have berries galore until next summer. (I hope!)
It’s also unbelievably convenient to have this stock of blueberries just waiting for me. When I need to make a quick treat breakfast, blueberry pie pancakes are my go to. Going to visit a friend and want bake something? How about an easy peasy blueberry loaf? Cooling but nutritious snack for Little Bear? Frozen blueberries, straight up! I’ve collected some great blueberry recipes from around the web to inspire you to go out and grab some local berries!
Below, behold a bevy of beautiful blueberry recipes:
1. Brain Power Salad from Gimme Some Oven
2. Blueberry Lime Salsa from How Sweet Eats
3. Blueberry, Coconut & Lime Ice Cream (No machine needed!!) from BBC Good Food
4. Blueberry Scones from Annie’s Eats (recipe originally comes from Cook’s Illustrated)
5. Blueberry Boy Bait (Blueberry Coffee Cake) from Lady Behind the Curtain
6. Blueberry Iced Green Tea from Closet Cooking
7. Blueberry Sweet Rolls with Lemon Glaze from Sally’s Baking Addiction
8. Miniature Lemon and Blueberry Cheesecakes from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
9. Chocolate Covered Blueberry Drops from Chocolate and Carrots
10. Frozen Yogurt Covered Blueberries from Family Fresh Meals
or you can skewer the Frozen Yogurt Covered Blueberries like on One Good Thing by Jillee
11. Blueberry Pie Pancakes from Chocolate Covered Katie
12. Thai Chicken Salad Wrap with Blueberries from Spoonful of Flavour
13. Blueberry Yogurt Cookies by La Fuji Mama
14. Grilled Salmon with Fresh Blueberry Corn Salsa by Linda Greenlaw from Maine Food and Lifestyle
15. Blueberry Lemon Bread from Epicurious (originally Ann Ferguson-Ward, Bon Apetit, August 1991)
Yummmm….hungry now? What’s your favourite blueberry recipe?